Winter is almost here, or has already arrived depending on where you live. This is the time of year that you need to make adjustments to your skin care routine. Winter can be a frustrating time for your skin, especially for us that have dry skin. The key is to stay ahead of it. Give your skin extra moisture before it becomes too dry. Over the winter I focus on keeping my skin hydrated and glowing by making these adjustments:
Cleanser: I still continue to use Fresh Soy Face Cleanser. This cleanser is very gentle and I’ve never had an issue with it leaving me dry. I did recently pick up Josie Maran Cleansing Oil. I’ve been using it a few times a week. This is for someone with dry/very dry skin. Also for the winter months I switch my Clarisonic brush head to the cashmere brush head. It gives the same deep clean as the sensitive brush head plus it encourages moisture and hydration.
At night is when I make my biggest changes. I started using Josie Maran Pure Argan Milk. This is to be applied before a beauty oil. This Argan Milk is deeply hydrating and intensifies the benefits of a beauty oil layered on top on it. I have noticed a big difference layering this on first. So, Argan Milk first, then beauty oil. My favorite beauty oils are Fresh Seaberry and Josie Maran Argan Oil.
Another moisturizer I’ve been using is Josie Maran Argan Infinity Cream. This is similar to the Josie Maran Argan oil, in a creamy formula. This is very intensely moisturizing. You can use a small amount all over your face. Or spot treat on dry patches.
Josie Maran has a gift set right now for $39 which includes all of the products I have mentioned. It’s a great way to try them all out!
Serums: Winter is the only time I use a serum. This is applied before your moisturizer. It basically creates a seal on your skin and protects is from the harsh winter elements. The only one I’ve ever loved is Fresh Black Tea Age-Delay Face Serum. It’s anti-aging, hydrating, brightening, improves skin tone and texture. It’s pretty much awesome!
Exfoliating: I typically start using a skin polish rather than a rough exfoliator for the winter. A skin polish exfoliates more gently and leaves the skin hydrated. I love the one from Fresh and First Aid Beauty. If you want to read more about why exfoliating is important check out this post on exfoliating. I will use a rougher exfoliator once a month just to make sure I’m getting all the dead skin off.
Mask: Using a mask is a great way to give your skin some added moisture. Think of a mask as a turbo boost of moisture for your skin. There are several different kinds of masks. Some you use weekly or twice a week, some can be used daily and some are used at night while you sleep. There are several masks that I have used that I love. Here are my favorites for hydration and brightening.
Weekly/Bi-Weekly: Fresh Black Tea Perfecting Mask, GlamGlow ThirstyMud Hydrating, FAB Ultra Repair Oatmeal Mask
Daily: PTR Rose Stem Hydrating Mask (also available in a mini gift set)
Sleep Mask: Fresh Peony Brightening Mask, Boscia Tsubaki Deep Hydration, PTR Vitamin C Brightening Mask
Eye Cream: Eye Cream is important to use all year round, not just the winter. Check out my posts on ‘how to apply eye cream’ and ‘what eye cream to use at what age’. I don’t really make any changes to my eye cream for the winter because I use a heavy eye cream during the whole year. I rotate using PTR Mega Rich Anit-Aging and Dr Brandt Retinol Eye Cream. My PTR eye cream is almost gone. Once it is I’m going to get Fresh Black Tea Age-Delay eye cream. I got a sample of it and it’s amazing!
Body: Winter hasn’t even come in full force yet and my skin is already dry. There are many things to do to keep skin hydrated all winter.
- Don’t take hot showers. Hot water is very drying. Use warm water or take short showers.
- Use a shower gel that isn’t to drying. I use mostly Lush shower gels. The Olive Branch shower gel from Lush is awesome.
- Using a hydrating body polish will get the dead, flaky skin off while hydrating your skin. I love the Fresh Brown Sugar Body Polish. It is a gentle exfoliant and leaves the body feeling ah-mazing! After you rinse the scrub off, make sure to rub all the oil into your skin. Soap & Glory also makes an awesome body polish.
- If you are really dry or have eczema, don’t wash your arms and legs every day. Just wash the parts of the body that need it and skip your arms and legs as often as you can. My eczema shows up first on my arms, so I avoid over washing them.
- When you get out of the shower put on your body lotion while your skin is still damp. This will lock in the moisture from the water and give additional hydration to your skin. Lotions that I like to use: FAB Ultra Repair Cream, Philosophy Fresh Body Lotion, Lush Karma Kream.
- Don’t forget about your hands and feet. Recently I’ve been using Josie Maran Whipped Argan Intensive hand cream and loving it! So creamy and extremely moisturizing, not greasy at all.
- Lips! I use a combination of Fresh Advanced Lip Therapy and Carmex.
- Get a humidifier. I have one in my bedroom and point it straight at me while I sleep.
- Lots and lots of water!!!