- PREVENTION, PREVENTION, PREVENTION
- What you do to your skin before you are 20 will determine what your skin will look like 40’s and beyond. SUNSCREEN!!!!! Always use a SPF 30 or higher, don’t lay out for hours at a time. Ask yourself- do you want tan skin now or flawless skin later?
- Now is a great time to start a basic skin care regimen. All you need is to cleanse and moisturize both morning and night.
- No squeezing pimples! This can cause scaring that you will have forever (insert ‘Sandlot’ voice).
- Never go to bed with make-up on. Always wash it off!
- If you had teen acne, it should be cleared up by mid 20’s or earlier.
- You will start to see more balance and more even complexion, enjoy your skin because it will probably be the best of your life!
- Start adding steps and products to your skin care routine. Now is the time to create good skin care habits. Don’t wait until you see skin problems.
- Use an eye cream at night, exfoliate 2-4 times a week, use a mask 1-4 times a month.
- “Imperfections” start to show up. Broken blood vessels, fine lines will appear.
- Stress will show up on your face. No more partying all night long and waking up early, dark circles and overall tired will be all over your face.
- Start to invest is high quality products. Begin using “anti-aging” products.
- Cell production begins to slow down, exfoliation is key!
- Estrogen levels begin to drop, this means dryness.
- Everything that showed up in your 30’s begins to deepen. Your skin will start to lose elasticity and become noticeably thinner.
- All your skin care ‘sins’ will show up. All of the tanning you did in your teens and 20’s will show up as ‘age spots’ or ‘dark spots’. Wear a sunscreen every day to prevent them from getting darker.
- Use a richer moisturizer, and heavier products like beauty oils and night creams.
- This is typically when menopause happens, and it takes a huge toll on the skin and you will see significant changes.
- There is less collagen in the skin, which makes the skin looser. Your body is creating less sebum, which makes you dryer. You may start to feel like your skin is sagging.
- Those fine lines start to look like wrinkles.
- Use products that “plump up” the skin, fill in wrinkles, encourage collagen and increase cell production.
60’s and Beyond
- Mature skin is always very dry, stay hydrated.
- Enjoy the rewards of life long skin care!
- At this age, most women feel comfortable in their own skin. You are wise and beautiful, your confidence radiates from your glowing face!