Cleansing the skin properly and exfoliating are both extremely important steps in a skin care routine. I’m going to be straight forward; using a clarisonic does not exfoliate the skin, and exfoliating does not cleanse the skin.
Let me explain why:
The purpose of a clarisonic is to deep clean the skin; removing all dirt, oil and makeup that may otherwise be left behind when using just your hands. The slight vibration of the clarisonic softens the skin to allow a deep cleansing of the skin. Any dirt, oil or makeup trapped in pores will more easily be cleansed away. Clarisonic is just for deep cleansing, it in no way exfoliates the skin.
The purpose of exfoliating is to remove dead skin cells off the surface of the skin, revealing fresh new skin. Skin cells have a life of 28-45 days (depending on age). Once they reach the surface they are at the end of their life cycle and are not looking as plump. If they are left to sit on the skin surface they will make the complexion look dull and drab; and can cause clogged pores and break outs. Exfoliating these dead skin cells off is extremely important for a clear glowing complexion. When exfoliating, this does not cleanse the skin. It just removes dead skin cells.
For best skin results I recommend using clarisonic when cleansing and exfoliating 2-3 times a week. Cleanse first (with clarisonic), then exfoliate, followed by moisturizer/night time treatments.
If you have sensitive skin or you feel like using both is to much for your skin there are a few things to consider. First, only use your clarisonic once a day when cleansing instead of twice. Next, try using a different brush head. Even the sensitive brush head can be to harsh for some. The cashmere brush head is more gentle and you will still get the same results. Last, your exfoliator may be to harsh. Try switching to a skin polish rather than an exfoliator.
What I use: Clarisonc Mia 2 once a day, I switch between the cashmere brush head and sensitive brush head depending on time of year. To exfoliate, Fresh Sugar Face Plolish. This face polish exfoliates gently and is also hydrating. If I want something more intense I use Lush Ocean Salt Scrub. I use the one from Lush once every week or two. I use the one from Fresh most of the time.
Tips for using Clarisonic:
- Don’t push the brush head into your skin harshly. It should be grazing over the skin.
- Use circular motions.
- Rinse your brush head thoroughly when done using.
- Change your brush head every 3 months. Dirt, bacteria and oil does build up over time. After 3 months you are just spreading that all around your face, having the opposite of a desirable result.
Tips for Exfoliating:
- Use your finger tips and gently massage on damp skin, avoiding the eye area.
- Don’t forget to exfoliate your neck and décolleté.
- Exfoliate in the shower to avoid the mess around the sink area.
- Use organic sugar and lemon juice to exfoliate for a cost savings.